The history of the Grand Hotel Ortigia
in Syracuse since 1890
Built in the late nineteenth century, the building has now over a hundred years of life, and even though it was completely renovated in 1995, maintains the original architecture and the charm of the Liberty. Inside are preserved in perfect condition the Spanish Walls (Bastion Hall) and other artifacts archieologici in so-called "Small Museum".
"For a history of the Grand Hotel from end '800' 30s Salvatore Adorno" p>
TRACKS FROM HISTORIC REPORT ATTACHED TO THE PROJECT OF RESTORATION AND CONSERVATIVE SURGERY AND BETWEEN '91 IL'95.
The origins of the Grand Hotel are placed in a situation of particular significance in contemporary history of Syracuse: the years immediately after the slaughter of the sixteenth-century fortifications that encircled the island of Ortigia.
(...) The demolition of the walls was a disruptive event loaded with symbolic values and opened new prospects for urban expansion and affirmation of new social elites (...)
At the beginning of the new century it begins to become evident (...) the intertwining of culture, tourism and entrepreneurship (...) the Grand Hotel will become a symbol ...
The first news of the inauguration of the Grand Hotel is the Journal of Syracuse of 20 January 1900. The title reads: Musical evenings dancing at the Grand Hotel and then the following: "The music nights at the Grand Hotel succeed assomigliandosi for good music that you It executes the verve that reigns sovereign and to the brotherhood between the foreign colony and indigenous "(...) It is true that since then the Grand Hotel will start to fill the pages of advertising and local news (...) In Liberty setting of the Hall of Flowers and Crystals (now Room Athena) the bourgeoisie and the local aristocrats, along with tourists, could watch the early films, and "elegant ladies" could see the fashion shows made by the best tailors national and international (...) A balanced mix of tourism, business and social life seems to place the Grand Hotel in one of the busiest and most dynamic hubs of social life of the then-growing city ...
In the years 1991 to 1995 the hotel undergoes a profound conservative restoration aimed, on the one hand, the restoration of the original architecture, and secondly, the optimization of existing spaces (basements) as well as the acquisition of new (roof - garden) ...
Now, a few meters from the sea, as part of one of the most beautiful Mediterranean naturalistically, in an environment full of history and glorious past events, the Grand Hotel continues to do hospitality with the same elegance and discretion of his first beginnings .
The rooms are luxuriously furnished and with a sea view, are equipped with: telephone, electronic combination safe, air conditioning, satellite TV, radio alarm clock, mini bar.
The facility is also equipped with: disabled rooms, meeting rooms, conference halls, bars placed in the ancient cistern, restaurant roof - garden with a view of the Grand Harbour and the seafront of Ortigia, private beach served by shuttle.